Thursday, April 23, 2009

Progress

I've been meaning to post the photos of last weekend's efforts. I didn't start out intending to do all this, rather just finishing up clearing out the beds and trimming some bushes. But, as it often does, one thing led to another, and I found myself digging out the backyard beds. And as an artist is often wont to do, I had to make it a little fancy. I think once everything is finished, it's going to look really, really nice. I just really hope that we can afford to get a new fence installed, preferably before I start really planting stuff. I'm thinking maybe it will be better to hold off on planting along the fence until I know for sure what is going on. Anyway, here are some photos!

This is right along the back of the house. There are some centaurea that are already sprouting up back there, that came with the house. Last year, I transplanted a few to the front garden. I think it prefers full sun anyway? It's pretty shady back here, I don't know. That's about it for now; here is where I want to plant a bunch of those old-fashioned cottage plants if I can: foxglove, delphinium, ferns, etc.
Around the gardens, April 2009

And this is, obviously, along the inadequate fence... it looks like some topsoil needs replacing along there as well. A lot of the back yard is quite uneven.
Around the gardens, April 2009

Another view... I still have more than half of the beds to dig out yet (from over where I was taking this shot). You can see where I ran out of steam toward the lower right hand corner.
Around the gardens, April 2009

And, at the back border of the yard, it is still fairly wild and woolly. Last fall, my dad came to visit and brought lots of hostas and some ferns that got dispersed through this area.
Around the gardens, April 2009

Here is the first half of the front garden.
Around the gardens, April 2009

And the second half. There is a lot going in there; tons of spring blooms plus a lot of plants I added to the bed last season, from spring all the way through fall—that's when you get the bargain perennials! I'd like to get some taller plants in the back, not to mention enlarging the bed further away from the house. If I had my druthers, I would make the front yard totally garden, but the mister has kiboshed that idea for now. "Do whatever you want in the back, but leave the front how it is." No fun! Well, I am at the very least going to expand it out, so there.
Around the gardens, April 2009

I can't wait to really be able to dig in and go crazy, especially in the back yard. Plans, I got 'em.

2 comments:

  1. Your garden is really coming along, Amy. Don't give up on that back yard; there are many perennials that will do way better in shade than grass ever will, including the erythronium you saw in my Rant post. Pachysandra is kind of a boring groundcover; it came with my house. I recommend sweet woodruff (gallium or asperula--they changed it so you'll see it both ways).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! Your blog really inspired me, and I'm hoping to try many of the plants you have talked about, eventually -- this has been a very gradual process for me. :)

    ReplyDelete